Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Inspiration

What a fickle thing inspiration is. Where it comes from is a mystery. Why it chooses one person out of a group and not another is baffling. But come it does and what you do with it is the ultimate decision.

And so it is that I've embarked on yet another writing project. But first let me give some background. I've joined a writing club started by my friend Ryan. One of the first things we did was an activity where we drew 3 slips of paper that had random words written on them. Then we were to write roughly two pages of a story using those 3 words. The next month we switched stories (round-robin) and drew 3 new words and so forth until it came back to the original writer and that person was to finish it. Well, I completely forgot so I wrote about a page or so during the next meeting just on the fly. When it came back to me, I cut out pretty much everything the other two had written but I liked the ideas that they had introduced. So I started re-writing. I'm now 40 8.5x11, single-spaced, 11 point font pages into it and only on chapter 5 of 16 planned. I have some work to do.

Then as I drove to work, inspiration hit. The story wasn't new but I started seeing it. I'm a big movie fan. I love to watch movies. Many times I get ideas that I 'see' in my head like I'm watching a movie. And so it was with this. And because of that I decided to make this a screenplay. A straight to movie script. It's the story of the sword in the stone...good old King Arthur. So while the basic plot that Arthur pulls the sword from the stone and becomes king is just like the Disney version, the only other similarity is that Merlin is there and a wizard. But I'm hoping that the story around that is what will draw you in. Only time will tell.

I'm glad I didn't ignore inspiration as I think this may be one of my favorite projects ever. Kind of crazy for me though. In high school I was a poet. Prose frustrated and eluded me. Now, while I can still write a good poem, my ideas have grown to more epic proportions.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Good luck with that....writing is tough work.