Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Please sir, I'd like some more....

Time is not a luxury. Nor is it a right or an entitlement. Time is just there. Like oxygen, carbon and nitrogen. Or dirt, grass or sun. People speak of time lost or wasted like it was a set of keys or a half-eaten hamburger. They refer to the best time of their life as though it has morphed into some chocolate fudge brownie sundae topped with $100 bills.

Time, I've decided, merely exists to give us something to schedule with. Time passes, you know, like me passing the guy in front of me who has decided to ignore the 65mph sign and keeps going 55. Days begin and end. We've counted them into months and years but I think the only real thing we can measure are days. The sun rises and sets. Except in Alaska and parts of Canada where the sun never really sets during the summer or rises in the winter and they are just out of luck.

We count revolutions around the sun and call them a year but the science isn't perfect so maybe we should stick with revolutions. The native Americans used the cycle of the Moon. Must have been inspired at some point.

I'm Mark and I'm 33 revolutions old.

No comments: